A postmodern journey of faith...

10/20/2003

"Grace will abound. All is well."
That's my Word for today.

How can I be formed by God's grace? Grace means that my need to perform is gone. I don't have to "prove" myself. True humility is defined in this simple principle: "nothing to prove, nothing to lose" (thanks, Chuck Swindoll). I must live by this today. True freedom is found in letting God form you with life---to submit to his grace. Submit to grace...hmm...an interesting idea. How do I submit to grace? How do I do it today? Maybe it has something to do with trusting God after you've done your best. I tell my kids that all the time--"just do your best." Maybe I should live by it.

Today's scripture is Luke 12:13-21. I constantly say that I'm not worried about the budget at church as long as we're serving the Gospel. But the reality is that, depending on circumstances, they may not be able to pay my salary here in a month or so. I'm tense about that. But that's really sad. "One's life does not consist in the abundance of posessions...[be] rich toward God." Petersen says, "Steep yourself in God-reality." There's food for thought. What is God's reality? I guess I'm drawn back to The Matrix...a modern-day allegory. God's reality is apart from our own. His reality affects our reality, but our reality is not "real" because it is subject to His. So, in this latest ordeal--which is probably only an ordeal because I'm allowing it to be one--what is God's reality? Is He moving and shaking things for a reason? Is He preparing the way?

I think it could be.

So what do I do with this? Steep myself in God-reality. Stop worrying about it. Take it as it comes. I've spent the last 16 hours anticipating what could go wrong. Maybe I just don't need to worry about it. He's taken care of us thus far, I'm sure he's probably not bent on giving up now.

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit,
As it was in the beginning, is now and ever shall be,
world without end.

Amen.

No comments: